The Frick Collection

The Frick Collection

The Frick Collection is one of New York's great cultural treasures, displaying works of art originating from a Western tradition between the fourth and early-twentieth centuries. During the renovation of its Upper East Side buildings, the institution is temporarily located in the Breuer-designed building that was formerly home to the Whitney Museum of Art. Frick Madison has received warm reviews for its fresh and engaging presentation of the permanent collection.

 

Connecting the Public to a Prolific Collection of Art

The Frick Collection

The Frick Collection originated with Henry Clay Frick, who bequeathed his personal collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts and his Manhattan residence to the public. In 1920, a year after his passing, Henry's daughter, Helen Clay Frick, established the Frick Art Reference Library to provide public access to her late father's personal collection. Fifteen years later,  his Manhattan residence was opened to the public as a museum. Today, The Frick Collection's holdings have more than doubled. Exhibitions, programming, and community partnerships engage and amplify enjoyment of works by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Bellini, Fragonard, Goya, Turner, Whistler, and many other artists. 
 
The Frick Collection's mission goes beyond preserving and exhibiting the collection for the public. The organization is equally committed to cultivating historical knowledge of the arts through research and scholarship; it has served as an educational resource for scholars, students, and the public for more than a century. Today, the Frick Art Reference Library is one of the world's leading art history research centers.

GRoW Support

2021

General Operating Support